On Wednesday, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu appointed new Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs) for Edo, Ekiti, Gombe, Kwara, Lagos, Nasarawa, Niger, Rivers, and Zamfara States. This announcement was made through a statement released by Ajuri Ngelale, the Senior Special Adviser to the President on Media and Public Affairs.
The appointment of these nine new Resident Electoral Commissioners is made in accordance with the powers vested in the President by Section 154 (1) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (1999, Amended) and Section 6 of the Electoral Act (2022). However, it is important to note that these appointments are subject to the approval of the Nigerian Senate.
The statement by Ngelale emphasized President Tinubu’s expectation that the newly appointed RECs will maintain the highest standards of professionalism and ethical conduct while carrying out their duties. These appointments align with President Tinubu’s commitment to establishing a new and sustainable standard for transparent, equitable, and conflict-free electoral conduct in Nigeria.
The following is a list of the newly appointed Resident Electoral Commissioners and their respective states:
1. Mr. Isah Shaka Ehimeakne — Edo State Resident Electoral Commissioner
2. Mr. Bamidele Agbede — Ekiti State Resident Electoral Commissioner
3. Mr. Jani Adamu Bello — Gombe State Resident Electoral Commissioner
4. Dr. Taiye Ilayasu — Kwara State Resident Electoral Commissioner
5. Dr. Bunmi Omoseyindemi — Lagos State Resident Electoral Commissioner
6. Alhaji Yahaya Bello — Nasarawa State Resident Electoral Commissioner
7. Prof. Mohammed Yalwa — Niger State Resident Electoral Commissioner
8. Dr. Anugbum Onuoha — Rivers State Resident Electoral Commissioner
9. Mr. Abubakar Fawa Dambo — Zamfara State Resident Electoral Commissioner
It should be noted that these appointed RECs are expected to serve for a period of five years, provided they successfully pass the screening and approval process of the Senate.
The provided information is intended for general awareness and may not be entirely accurate or up-to-date. The post disclaims any warranties regarding the completeness, accuracy, or reliability of the content, services, or graphics on the website. It advises caution when using the information for any purpose.