The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced that the governorship election in Edo State will be held on September 21, and the election in Ondo State will take place on November 16. This information was disclosed by Sam Olumekun, the National Commissioner and Chairman of the Information and Voter Education Committee, in a statement issued in Abuja.
Olumekun explained that the current Governors of Edo and Ondo States are scheduled to complete their tenures on November 11, 2024, and February 23, 2025, respectively. According to Section 178 (2) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended), elections for these offices must be held no earlier than 150 days and no later than 30 days before the expiration of the incumbent’s tenure. Therefore, the latest date for the Edo State Governorship Election is October 12, 2024, and for Ondo State, it is January 24, 2025.
Additionally, in accordance with Section 28(1) of the Electoral Act, 2022, the Commission is required to publish a Notice for the Election no later than 360 days before the election date.
As a result, INEC has issued the Timetable and Schedule of Activities for both the Edo and Ondo State Governorship elections as follows:
For Edo State:
– Governorship election: Saturday, September 21, 2024.
– Party primaries: February 1-24, 2024.
– Submission of nominated candidates’ list online: March 4-24, 2024.
– Final list of candidates publication: April 23, 2024.
– Campaign by political parties in public: April 24 – September 19, 2024.
For Ondo State:
– Governorship election: Saturday, November 16, 2024.
– Party primaries: April 6-27, 2024.
– Submission of nominated candidates’ list online: April 29 – May 20, 2024.
– Final list of candidates publication: June 18, 2024.
– Campaign by political parties in public: June 19 – November 14, 2024.
The detailed Timetable and Schedule of Activities for these two elections have been made available on the Commission’s website and social media platforms.
The provided information is intended for general awareness and may not be entirely accurate or up-to-date. The post disclaims any warranties regarding the completeness, accuracy, or reliability of the content, services, or graphics on the website. It advises caution when using the information for any purpose.