The Israeli army announced that it is allowing civilians in northern Gaza to evacuate to the southern region of the coastal strip.
A spokesman for the army said on Monday on platform X, formerly Twitter, that the army will offer a four-hour window on a specific road to the south, accompanied by a map.
The spokesperson urged people to flee to the south as soon as possible for their own safety.
The military expanded its ground operations in the fight against Hamas, which administers the Gaza Strip, about a week ago.
The army said on Sunday night that it has split the enclave and that there is now “a northern Gaza and a southern Gaza.” The army of Israel has regularly urged civilians in the north to flee to the south.
According to the UN, there are over 1.4 million internally displaced persons in Gaza, and humanitarian conditions are grave. The densely populated Gaza Strip is home to around 2.2 million people.
The Israeli military is now attacking Hamas mostly in the north, although there have been airstrikes in the south as well.
According to an army spokeswoman last week, the south is not a “safe zone,” but it is safer “than any other place in Gaza.”
The present conflict began on October 7, when the Palestinian Islamist Hamas movement launched a terrorist strike from Gaza against Israel, murdering 1,400 people, mostly civilians, and kidnapping 240 more.
Israel subsequently started a retaliatory bombing campaign against Hamas, killing at least 9,770 Palestinians in Gaza, according to the Hamas-run Health Ministry there.
The provided information is intended for general awareness and may not be entirely accurate or up-to-date. The post disclaims any warranties regarding the completeness, accuracy, or reliability of the content, services, or graphics on the website. It advises caution when using the information for any purpose.