The Enugu State Government has announced its intention to increase funding for local government council development projects by 60 percent. This decision, disclosed after a meeting of the Enugu State Economic Planning Commission at the Government House, Enugu, is aimed at expediting grassroots development, particularly in sectors such as agriculture, agro-allied industrialization, and critical infrastructure.
Speaking to Government House correspondents following the meeting attended by council chairmen, Prof. Chidiebere Onyia, the Secretary to the State Government, emphasized the administration’s eagerness to establish a progressive partnership with local governments. This partnership entails providing matching funds for selected projects that align with the state government’s economic agenda.
The SSG emphasized that the primary objective of this initiative is to stimulate economic growth in rural areas, with a focus on agriculture, agro-allied industrialization, and the promotion of agro-allied processing zones. Additionally, a land bank spanning 300,000 hectares will be allocated for commercial farming.
Under this partnership, local governments will venture into their respective communities, including forested areas susceptible to criminal activities, with the aim of enhancing economic activities. This approach will create job opportunities for the youth population. The funding arrangement involves the state government contributing 60 percent of the project costs, while the local governments provide the remaining 40 percent. However, this applies exclusively to mutually agreed-upon projects between the state and local governments.
In response to this development, Hon. Sydney Okechukwu Edeh, Chairman of the Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON) Enugu State chapter, commended Governor Mbah’s administration for the counterpart funding initiative. He noted that this partnership with the state government will facilitate the financing of priority projects that directly impact the lives of the people. Moreover, it will promote transparency, accountability, and traceability in the management of local government funds.
Edeh expressed confidence that this collaborative effort would not only enable the execution of numerous projects but also ensure their high quality, benefiting rural communities and economies. The partnership aims to prioritize transparency, traceability, and accountability in all endeavours, garnering full support from ALGON to advance the state’s progress.
The provided information is intended for general awareness and may not be entirely accurate or up-to-date. The post disclaims any warranties regarding the completeness, accuracy, or reliability of the content, services, or graphics on the website. It advises caution when using the information for any purpose.